Tuesday 1 December 2009

Starting out!

This is my first foray into the world of blogging - I'm hoping to use this as a kind of scrapbook, or memopad for myself, to fomulate ideas about things I've seen and read in the fashion world that I want to take further. For now...

Aaron Kraten and his artwork had a huge impact on my creative thinking as a teenager. I loved the simplistic colours, patterns and textures that belied complex ideas, and his use of faceless figures (which I could never be sure about - was it simply laziness, an inability to paint expressions, or symbolic?). His homemade and idiosyncratic approach to creation appealed - he would paint on old wooden doors, fridges, panels, using found paint and self-taught techniques. More than anything, though, I loved how he understood that art can simply be aesthetically pleasing; his pieces were just gorgeous to look at, whether you 'got' what he was trying to say (or indeed whether you thought he was trying to say anything in the first place). I'm hoping to look back over some of his older stuff this Christmas vacation and see if, how, and why, his influence has lasted. Should be interesting...

Jess x

No comments:

Post a Comment